Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Humor and the survival of the species.

I often feel like the lead character from "Psycho" or "Ordinary People" in that I have days of complete confusion as far as feeling like a decent and capable human, but to God I send great kudos for giving me a sense of humor. Humor saves me from completely losing myself in thoughts of self-absorption and sadness. I know a few definite things about myself. One: the fact that God is so good and I know He is with me even in my ugly and selfish times; two: that I have been granted the commission and privilege of having three unbelievable children; and three: that He has given me a psycho sense of humor. Maybe it is not the most credible sense of humor on Christian terms, but I truly appreciate humor that is clever and not main-stream; humor that makes us laugh at ourselves. I find no gratification in humor that relies on crudeness, but I see God's hand in original work that lets us see ourselves in our everyday silliness, in our belief that we are better than we are.
I am sure God gave me a sense of humor not only to survive the day to day, but to see all of our comings and goings in a certain perspective. Humor lets me see that life can be difficult, but with that humor, a good laugh is His way of saying, "it ain't that bad".

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

So when you're laughing at my daughter and her "wear DESE" and other office antics, it's a survival tactic?

Maybe God knew we would all just dangle from the ceiling tiles if we couldn't laugh about the things that we want to scream about (weeks like last week, for instance)...