Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Brittany Spears

I saw the video of Brittany Spears on You Tube at the VMA awards. First, let me say that the VMAs are not what I would choose to regularly view, but being who I am, I have a sick interest in the world of performers and wanted to see what all the hype was about.
Secondly, let me say that Brittany is not, and has never been, what I would call a role model for our young girls. That said, she has obviously lost her guiding light, if she indeed ever had one. BUT, who are we to judge what she is going through in her personal life?! I am not an advocate of girls gone bad; on the contrary I abhor the recent slew of young ladies who are our supposed examples of hip and current celebs. However, who am I to be critical of their overexposed lives?!
My point is, how can I be critical of their lifestyle just because it is shown on a daily basis in the media? I wonder, if my life was privy to the media, would others think I was wallowing in my consumption of myself? We don't have the right to judge and yet I find myself being the Supreme Court Justice of others. So, I say, Brittany, I feel sorry for you and your decisions and, Ann, I feel sorry for you in your judgement of those you don't really know.

3 comments:

Sarah Reinhard said...

Good point. Funny thing, with Prince Charming home from school, we actually saw the rerun of that one evening during a rare night of "no football on TV" and I was sickeningly entranced. No, she's not a role model. And even as I was thinking how, well, sad it is, I was also thinking of what a responsibility it is for me as a mother to keep my kid from thinking that Brittany (or is it some wacko spelling?) and her ilk are indeed good role models. (At least Dora wears all her clothes!)

Good point you have here though, and it got me thinking - who am I to point out the stick in Brittany's eye (that was about all she had on, wasn't it?) when there's a big ole boulder in mine?

RM Walter-Proulx said...

But Mom...She's a slaaaaaaaave...4 U. Also, she wields reptiles in her music videos, which I think teaches the next generation about animals and nature.

Micki said...

I just surfed and found you...and I just want to say that you will get out of this somewhat funk and find your ministry with taking care of your adult family, your husband, your church etc. Take another look at the Prayer of St. Francis, you know, "Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...."

Your Eucharistic Hour will let you be touched by HIM...it's just sometimes hard to know how this happens, but it does happen. God Bless.